It’s A Beautiful Thursday in South Louisiana & on the Menu today is Beer Can Chicken . A great recipe to Dinner & any leftovers will be tomorrows Gumbo. Lisa
- 4 pounds chicken, washed and dried
- Vegetable oil ( olive oil)
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer ( can be pop)
- Chicken Rub ( you can make your own / use store bought mixture of spices )
- A small onion/potatoes for a stopper on top .
- Sliced Bacon on top to keep it juicy
- This is the holder for chicken we use – Beer Can fits in the middle to helps the chicken to stay upright. . Pop Cans work too. You can use beer inside But Chicken stock or other liquids works just as well so try it out. This is a basic holder you can pick up at any store or online. And in a pinch a Can placed in an iron skillet will work too but be careful of tipping. Lisa
Rub the chicken and its cavity down with the vegetable oil. Season the chicken with rub mixture, remembering to season the cavity. Pour out 1/4 of the beer and sit the chicken on top of the beer can. Place the chicken in the center of the hot grill and cover. Cook the chicken for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F. Once cooked, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.