These can be made ahead and frozen for a great snack or party !
1 pound ground beef
1 T Tomato paste
1/2 each of finely chopped onion and bell pepper
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
Tabasco sauce to taste
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sal
t1 cup shortening
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese3
/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add seasoning and cook until tender. Taste and adjust to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, and salt. Cut in shortening and cheese until crumbly. Combine milk and vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half; roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. round cutter. Place half of the circles 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; top each with a rounded tablespoonful of beef mixture. Top with remaining circles. Moisten edges with water and press with a fork to seal. Cut a slit in the top of each.
- Bake at 425° until golden brown, 12-16 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pies in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Bake, from frozen, on an ungreased baking sheet at 425° until heated through, 14-16 minutes.