Umoja [OO-MO-JAH]: Unity
Kwanzaa was established in 1966 as an alternative to Christmas, Hanukkah and other winter holidays of the season. The festival was founded on seven principles designed to strengthen the African-American community and is celebrated from December 26 to January 1, with the Karamu feast on New Year’s Eve.
Cheesy Grits – What are grits?
Grits are a classic southern dish. Made from corn that has been ground into coarse meal. They are traditionally boiled and mixed with milk and butter,. This is a traditional breakfast in the south!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick grits (or substitute with other grits just read above to be able to adjust cooking time)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the chicken broth and milk in a medium size saucepan. Heat over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the salt. Then add the grits slowly while stirring. Stir until all grits are well mixed.
- Cover and reduce heat to low for 3-4 minutes. Remove the lid and stir the grits. Continue stirring while cooking over low for an additional 1-2 minutes. The grits will be tender when done cooking.
- Turn the heat off. Add in the butter and cheese. Stir until well mixed.
- Serve immediately. Top with additional shredded cheese, butter and fresh pepper if desired.
Toppings to add : Grilled Shrimp, Bacon, Chopped Ham or more….