Welcome to Manic Monday ! What’s on your planner?
Why do we plan menu?With menu planning you know what your meals will look like and what you need to buy. That makes grocery shopping more efficient and cuts down on unplanned trips to buy one or two items. And with a grocery list in hand — a byproduct of good menu planning — it’s easier to resist impulse purchases.
7 Steps for Quick and Easy Menu Planning
- Post an ongoing grocery list where it’s easy to see. …
- Ask for meal ideas and share the work. …
- List your favourite seasonal meals ideas. …(Seafood,Game)
- Find out what’s on hand and what’s on special to plan your meals. …
- Start planning! …
- Eat healthy meals and snacks! …
- Save time on meal planning.
Meal planning for us : I keep a ongoing grocery list on the Fridge. I also keep a large pantry and freezers of basics . Since we live in a small town our grocery store only carry’s the basics.
When I plan I also need to keep in mind my husband food allergies and health tips in mind. So let’s plan – first up in Louisiana it means : Beans
On Monday : Read Beans & Rice
Slow Cooked in the crock pot so that I have time to do other things this Monday and still have supper ready. Lisa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 cups pre-chopped Trinity (onion, celery, bell pepper)
- 1 pound smoked sausage, each link quartered length-wise then cut 1/2″ thick
- 7 cups water (low setting) or 6 cups water (high setting)
- 1 (1-pound) package Camellia Brand Red Kidney Beans
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Optional: Soak the beans overnight Rinse the beans under cool, running water. Place in a large bowl or pot and cover with several inches of clean water. Let sit overnight. Drain before cooking.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the trinity, stir well, and cook until vegetables start to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure that the vegetables don’t stick.
- Add the smoked sausage, stir well, and continue to cook until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Continue to stir occasionally to make sure trinity and sausage aren’t sticking.
- Once done, remove the skillet from heat and transfer the contents to a slow cooker.
- Add the water and red beans along with garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaves, and dried thyme. Stir well and place cover on the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 10 hours (or 4 hours on high setting). Stir occasionally.
- After eight hours (on low setting ) or three hours (on high setting) the beans should be soft. Use the back of a spoon to mash some of the beans against the side of the pot to thicken the beans, for a more creamier style of beans.
- Before serving, stir in thinly sliced green onions and the desired amounts of salt and black pepper. Serve over rice and with hot sauce.
Cook Time: 10 hours (low) or 4 hours (high)
- Tuesday – Spaghetti
- Wed – Gumbo
- Thursday – Beef stew
- Friday – Pork roast
- Sat- Breakfast