Cinco de Mayo, (Spanish: “Fifth of May”), also called Anniversary of the Battle of Puebla, holiday celebrated in parts of Mexico and the United States in honour of a military victory in 1862 over the French forces of Napoleon III.
We are a melting pot of people and one way to share is in food :
Since we are in Lock-down and missing my favorite Food Truck to Celebrate :
Slow Cook Mexican Pulled Pork
- 2 kg / 4 lb pork shoulder (pork butt) ,
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 jalapeno , deseeded, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup juice from orange (2 oranges)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine the Rub ingredients then rub all over the pork.
- Place the pork in a slow cooker (fat cap up), top with the onion, jalapeño, minced garlic (don’t worry about spreading it) and squeeze over the juice of the oranges.
- Slow Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Pull and serve on flour tortilla with Queso asadero or queso quesadilla( Mexican cheese) that is a creamy, smooth, semi-soft white cheese that melts beautifully