Today is National Fruit Cocktail day ! And I am sharing some recipes to make today as we celebrate . So into my kitchen :
Fruit Cocktail Cake
- 2 (15 oz) Fruit cocktail
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 C Butter / butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt one stick of butter in a microwave safe dish for 1 minute 40 seconds on 50% power.
- Pour entire contents of fruit cocktail cans (juice and all) into a 8 X 11 glass pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spread fruit cocktail evenly on bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle box of yellow cake mix, evenly, over top of fruit cocktail. Do NOT mix cake mix and fruit cocktail. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out cake mix.
- Drizzle melted butter over top of cake mix. (Cake mix does not need to be completely covered in butter).
- (Optional – sprinkle a small amount coconut on top of the cake before baking, photo shows it with coconut).
- Bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Old Fashion Ambrosia
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple tidbits in juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Drain the pineapple and the orange segments very well. Set aside.
- Drain the cherries and slice each one in half. Rinse the cherries well and allow to drain. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the whipped topping and the sour cream. Add in the coconut and mini marshmallows. Fold in the drained pineapple, oranges, and cherries. Add the pecans and gently stir to combine. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour before serving.
Most family has a version of this recipe. My Grandma used just fruit (both can and fresh) and No marshmallow or cream. Lisa