Happy Father’s Day : Let’s Eat
This Sunday Jazz brunch is dedicated to my Dad !
French Toast with Fig Caramel sauce :
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 1-inch slice brioche bread
- 1 knob butter – for cooking
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs together well. Beat in the milk, sugar and vanilla.
- Layer the brioche bread in a single layer across a large baking dish (I use my 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan). Gently pour the egg mixture over the bread slices. Allow to soak for 2 minutes. Gently flip using a spatula. Allow to soak an additional 2 minutes. Tip the pan around if needed to help the bread absorb the egg mixture. The bread should soak up all of the egg mixture.
- Heat a large skillet on medium to medium-high heat. Melt a knob of butter on it. Gently transfer all 4 brioche french toast to the pan. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is also golden brown, about 3 minutes. If you feel like your french toast is browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
Caramel Sauce :
- To make the caramel, wipe pan clean and add 1/4 cup sugar and 2 Talb butter. Stir over medium-high heat until melted and sugar dissolves. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden, then add Grand Marnier and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until slightly reduced. Set aside to cool.
- 4.Scatter 2 tsp sugar over the cut side of the figs. Place a clean frypan over medium-high heat, then add figs, cut-side down, and cook for 1 minute or until caramelised.
- 5.Serve figs on brioche French toast with creme fraiche and caramel.