Today on my blog it’s all about life in a small Southern town living . And today I am celebrating with my nod to Steel Magnolia and the women of Melville. True Steel Magnolias Lisa
The title ‘Steel Magnolias‘ is meant as a metaphor
Harling explained that the title of “Steel Magnolias” is meant to capture the complex mix of strength and vulnerability exhibited by the women he knew growing up who are portrayed in the play and movie.
trivia and facts : https://www.southernliving.com/culture/steel-magnolias-movie-facts
GWFC Melville :
The Melville Woman’s Club is an organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs, founded in 1890 during the Progressive Movement, is a federation of over 3,000 women’s clubs in the United States which promote civic improvements through volunteer service.
Meet the candidates (election) , volunteers and donations for Cancer Awareness, St Jude, and children hospital. Also yearly student scholarships program and library projects and monthly Garden Club contest.
Cookbook Project and Sales:
I love local cookbooks and this is a family favorite. Full of great town history and recipes from some wonderful cooks. My Mom included.
Mom Pound Cake ( p104)
- 3 cups superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with baking spray.
- Using an electric stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat sugar, butter, and cream cheese at medium-high speed until very fluffy and pale, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time on low speed, just until the yellow disappears. Scrape down the sides of the bowl several times.
- Add egg yolks, half-and-half, and vanilla extract and beat on low just until mixed in.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a medium bowl and mix it into the batter in 3 additions with the mixer on low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove cake from the pan to cool completely.
Past Events and Fun Raisers”
Past projects: because of Covid many of the large gathering have been postponed. So here is some past pictures.
What are characteristics of a small town? Rather than head counts, however, small towns are often defined by characteristics like a slower pace of life, family-oriented events, walkability, proximity to nature and an authenticity that’s not evident in larger places.