Today I am celebrating my favorite Summer shoes : Flip Flops.
Flip Flop Day
Flip Flop Day is a holiday that celebrates the casual beach shoe worn by people in tropical areas all year round. For most people around the world, though, flip-flops are exclusively summer shoes, so what better time to celebrate them than the middle of June? This holiday was started by Tropical Smoothie Cafe as way to raise money for charity and give people an excuse to wear flip-flops around town.
Flip Flop facts:
When were flip flops first invented?
4000 BCThe earliest recorded use of flip flops is seen around 4000 BC in Ancient Egypt. Many of their ancient sculptures and drawings show subjects wearing flip flops, including both royalty and everyday citizens. The flip flops worn by the Egyptians were mostly made from papyrus and other plant fibers.
Flip flops are also known as thong sandals, thongs, sandals, or slippers. A flip flop consists of a flat sole that is held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap that passes between the big toe and the second toe to the sides of the foot.
For 7 surprising benefits of wearing flip flops, continue reading below!
- They’re Versatile. …
- They Allow Your Feet to Breathe. …
- They’re an Easy Grab and Go. …
- They Give You More Freedom. …
- They’re More Comfortable Than You Think. …
- They Come in Many Styles and Designs. …
- They’re Relaxing.
How to Celebrate
- Wear Flip Flops!
- Get to your local Tropical Smoothie wearing your Flip Flops for a free smoothie and to support their cause.
Summer time fun:
Fruit Smoothie :
1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced
2 cups frozen strawberries, raspberries, or cherries
1 cup milk
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 to 3 tablespoons honey or to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.
- Cooks note: For non-dairy smoothies, substitute 1 cup rice milk for the milk and yogurt. Or, use soy yogurt or milk instead of dairy.