Happy Bacon Day ! My family favorite day to celebrate with BLT Sandwich’s.
B LT sandwich first appeared in British cookbooks in the late 1920s, and its popularity boomed in America after World War II due to these important factors: lettuce and tomato became available in supermarkets and women, who were usually housewives, began to work outside their homes in much greater numbers than before .
Classic BLT Sandwich:
- 4 slices bread your favorite variety ( Potato bread is a favorite)
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 tomatoes large, ripe
- 4 leaves lettuce iceberg, bib or romaine
- 4 tablespoons Mayo
- salt & pepper
- Wash lettuce, dry and cut into thin shreds. Slice tomatoes into thick slices.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Toast bread until lightly browned, butter if desired and set aside.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
- Top with bacon, tomatoes and lettuce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut in half and serve.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Cut a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil about twice as long as a rimmed baking sheet. Pinch and fold every inch or so of the foil to create ridges for the bacon to drain into while cooking. Place bacon side by side on the ridged foil Bake in preheat oven to your desired level of doneness and a bit of foam forms on the surface, 25 to 30 minutes.