Welcome to my town’s community garden tour. Every year Ms. Mary and her crew plants a large garden that anyone in town can get fresh vegetables from. It’s a labor of love and gives fresh vegetables to those that needs help.
Melville, LA Community garden:
The community garden gives you space to garden and opens the door to friendships with fellow gardeners. Gardeners like to share. You have the opportunity to learn about new varieties of plants, discover new techniques, share information on organic methods of disease and pest control, and even share recipe
Broccoli is easy to grow and yields quickly, providing you with a delicious, nutritious crop of blue-green heads, which can be harvested from summer to autumn, depending on when you sowed the seed. Sprouting broccolis are hardy and can can be harvested from March, further extending the growing season
Roasted Broccoli florets recipe:
- 1 pound (16 ounces) broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces (from 2 pounds or about 1 ½ bunches of broccoli)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet for easy clean-up, if desired.
- On the prepared baking sheet, toss the broccoli with the oil until all of the florets are lightly coated. Arrange them in an even layer across the pan, then sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, tossing halfway, or until the florets are turning deeply golden on the edges. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve warm.