Welcome to my October food blog this Wednesday. October is Vegetarian month and I am sharing this tsasty Kale and Bean Soup = Enjoy!
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 T minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Italian Herb Seasoning (contains oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme and rosemary)
- 2 : 15 oz. cans Cannellini beans
- 1 : 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 oz. finely chopped kale, washed if needed (see notes)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 fresh sage leaves, or 1/2 tsp. dried rubbed sage
Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan; add the onions and cook 4-5 minutes or until they are just starting to brown. Add the garlic and Italian Seasoning and cook 1-2 minutes more, being careful not to let the garlic brown.Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray; then put onions and garlic into the slow cooker.While the onions are cooking use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the Cannellini beans with the juice, keeping them a little chunky if you prefer. (If you’re using freshly-cooked beans I would add about 1/4 cup water.)Finely chop the kale (cutting away thick center ribs if you have them) and wash kale in the salad spinner if you’re using garden kale.Put the pureed beans, chopped kale, vegetable stock, canned tomatoes and juice, and sage leaves (or dried sage) into the slow cooker with the onion mixture.Add one or two pieces of Parmesan rind if desired for extra flavor.Cook 4 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.