Thanks for joining me on another Wednesday food blog post.
If you follow along you know that I love my slow cooker -as a busy Mom it’s a life saver. Just fix it in the morning and by dinner time it’s ready. Here’s a family favorite :
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kitchen bouquet (browning sauce)
- Minced fresh thyme
- Layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place flour in a large shallow dish. Add stew meat; turn to coat evenly. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Place over vegetables.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper, thyme and, if desired, browning sauce. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are tender. If desired, sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving.