It’s Foodie Thursday on my blog. And it’s all about Apples.
I was gifted with a case of Apples ( 8 bags of apples this week so I did some cooking) . So follow along with me as I used them up…. Lisa
Cracker Barrel Apples ( copycat)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 6 tart apples peeled, cored, and sliced –
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
In a large skillet, melt butter. Spread the apples evenly over the skillet bottom. Sprinkle the lemon juice over them, followed by the brown sugar and salt. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, until apples are tender and juicy. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and serve. You can add a squeeze of lemon at the finish for enhanced flavor,
Apple Spice Dump Cake * Crock pot
- 5-7 Granny Smith Apples( I have Red)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon — divided
- 1 box yellow cake mix ( Spice cake)
- 1/2 cup oats — quick cook or old-fashioned
- 1 stick
- Peel, core, and slice your apples. I used 7 because mine were small. If you’re using large, you can use less. Apples should be thin and bite sized.
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place apples in the bottom of your crockpot. Sprinkle with sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Place the cake mix in a large bowl. Add the oats and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir, then sprinkle over the top of the apples.
- Drop slices of the butter over the top of the cake mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Home made Apple Butter * Crock pot
- 6 1/2 pounds apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place the apples in a slow cooker.
- Add the sugars, cinnamon, salt and vanilla to the crockpot. Mix well.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring every couple hours. The apple butter should be thick and dark brown.