Welcome to my Blog! Today it’s all about Chickpeas – – If you have never used them other than humus here some other things to do with them:
What is Chickpeas?
The chickpea is a key ingredient in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines, used in hummus, and, when ground into flour, falafel. It also is important in Indian cuisine, used in salads, soups and stews, and curry, in chana masala, and in other meal products like channa.
Easy Chickpea Curry :
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1–2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot or high-walled pan, heat the oil over medium-low. Add the sliced onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and deep golden, about 15 minutes. Add a tablespoon of water at a time if the onions get dry.
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the curry powder and cumin and stir until toasted, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden or rubber spoon to release the any browned spices or onions stuck to the bottom.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the chickpeas the pot. Stir and reduce to low heat. Let simmer until the sauce is thickened and the chickpeas are slightly softened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and adjust other seasonings as necessary.
Easy Roasted Chickpeas :
- 1 15 oz can ed Chickpeas drained, rinsed + patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees + prepare a lined baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner or cooking spray.
- Drain + rinse chickpeas with water. Pat dry with a paper towel or dish towel.
- In a bowl, toss chickpeas, olive oil and spices in a bowl until thoroughly coated in mixture.
- Spread the chickpeas evenly on the lined cookie sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, giving the cookie sheet a little shake every 10 minutes or so.
- Allow chickpeas to cool slightly, and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.