Since I was planting my garden in a container this year – I plant small Japanese (Mini) eggplant. I seem to have a bumper crop this year so I am making one of my favorite meals to eat. Lisa
How big do mini eggplants get?2 to 3 inchesDeep purple, egg-shaped fruit should be harvested at baby size-2 to 3 inches, and are delicious roasted or in dips and salads. Thornless leaves and calyxes allow for painless harvesting and makes Patio Baby child-friendly, too
My Recipe :
- 2 to 3 mini eggplants (depending on size) , peeled and cut into 1/3 inch slices
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1⁄4cup olive oil
- 3cups spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Arrange a layer of eggplant slices in a colander. Sprinkle generously with salt. Continue layering and salting all eggplant slices. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Dip each eggplant slice in beaten egg, and dredge with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Over medium high heat fry eggplant in hot oil about 2 minutes per side until golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Preheat oven to temperature 350°F Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom of baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Spread half the sauce over top. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan. Repeat layers.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.