So today’s baking is from Grandma recipe box : Her Pineapple Upside down cake but fell free to use other fruit that is in season.
- 1 stick butter
- 1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple
- 1 (4 ounce) jar cherries
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pre heat oven to 375 degrees
- Melt 1 stick butter in the bottom of a cast iron skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Add pineapple slices on top of sugar in 1 decorative layer with a cherry in the middle of each pineapple ring. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Cream sugar and butter together in a bowl. Add eggs and mix. Add flour mixture and milk in an alternating fashion. Add vanilla extract and mix well. Pour mixture evenly over pineapples in the skillet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cake is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool in the skillet for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt cubed butter over medium-low heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in orange juice; sprinkle with blueberries.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter and extract until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Pour over blueberries.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Top as desired.
Read more with Kindle unlimited :
The Southern Cast Iron Cookbook: Comforting Family Recipes to Enjoy and Sharehttps://www.amazon.com/Southern-Cast-Iron-Cookbook-Comforting/dp/1939754089/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=black+iron+skillet+cookbook&qid=1618584292&sr=8-7