Welcome to our last Friday in July ! Hope you enjoyed our Holiday post:
In South Louisiana we celebrate Christmas Eve a little different – while everyone attends Midnight Mass and wait for Santa you will find a pot of Gumbo on the stove .
Gumbo can be made with lots of different ingredients and most family have a favorite recipe but I want to share this one :
- 1 3/4 Lb chicken/ Cut up
- 1lb hot sausage ( cut Up)
- 1 Cup oil
- 2/3 C flour
- Trinity : 1 large onion/bell pepper ,celery /chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic /chopped
- 1/2 T creole sesoning
- 1 C green onion tops,parsley / Chopped for toppings
In a heavy bottom stock pot brown chicken & sausage in 1/4 C oil. Remove chicken and sausage . In the same pot add the rest of oil and Flour to make a roux (oil & flour) and Stir until dark brown. Add Water,Trinity & garlic and Cook for 40/45 minutes. Add meat back to the pot and cook another 45 minutes. When ready to Serve with white Rice add parsley/ green onion tops if you like. Lisa
- Gumbo is better the next day so you can cook it the day before and heat up Christmas Eve,
- The times are not set in stone. Most Gumbos cook for a long time (4-5 hours) .