As I promised here’s the Recipe :
Official Natchitoches Meat Pie Recipe
Meat Pie Filling
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork meat
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 pod garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
Meat Pie Crust
- 1 quart plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening + 1T
- 1 cup milk
- Melt shortening in heavy pot. Add meat. Cook until pink is gone.
- Add vegetables and season to taste. (Season well, as meat will lose seasoning during frying.)
- When meat is completely done and vegetables glazed, remove from heat and drain excess liquid.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon flour.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening.
- Beat egg and add to milk.
- Work gradually into dry ingredients until proper consistency to roll.
- Break into small pieces and roll very thin.
- Cut into rounds using a saucer as a guide.
- Place a large tablespoon of prepared meat along edge and halfway in the center of round dough.
- Fold the other half over, making edges meet and seal with water. Form edges with fork.
- Drop in deep fat and cook until golden brown.
- Drain and serve hot.
Makes approximately 18 pies