Today it’s all about Ginger . It’s National Ginger Bread House day :
In the Slow Cooker :
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup soy sauce ( light or low salt)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- two scallions, minced ( green onions)
- Place the chicken thighs into the Crock-Pot.
- Stir together the melted butter, honey, grated ginger, soy sauce, lime juice and black pepper. Pour over the chicken thighs and mix to fully coat each piece.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. The chicken should be very tender and falling apart. It will shred easily with a fork.
- Spoon over rice to serve; top with a sprinkling of minced scallions.
Kitchen Tip :
Peeling Ginger with a Spoon Hold a piece of ginger root firmly in one hand and the bowl of a metal spoon firmly in the other hand. (Note that you can also just break a lobe off of the ginger and peel only that.) Scrape the edge of the spoon against the ginger to peel off the skin.
Ginger Bread Loaf
1cup packed brown sugar
3/4cup butter or margarine, softened
4cup molasses 1cup boiling water
1teaspoon baking soda
2 3/4cups all-purpose flour
2teaspoons baking powder
4teaspoons ground ginger
2teaspoons ground cinnamon
1teaspoon ground all spice
1/2teaspoon ground cloves
1/2cup powdered sugar, 1to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 (8×4-inch) loaf pans with shortening or cooking spray. In large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. In small bowl, stir molasses, water and baking soda until well mixed; beat into brown sugar mixture.
- 2Gradually stir in flour and remaining bread ingredients until well blended. Spoon batter evenly into pans.
- 3Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on cooling rack 15 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 4In small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and enough lemon juice for desired consistency. Brush glaze over cooled loaves. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.