Today I am running late with taking care of family things. So Today’s word is Macron or is it Macaroons?
Let’s start with the basics: A macaron (pronounced mack-a-ROHN) is a confection made up of two round, flat, almond-flour-based cookies sandwiching an emulsified filling like ganache or jam. … A macaroon (two os; pronounced mack-a-ROON) is a mounded cookie made with shredded coconut and often dipped in chocolate. So let’s explore more…….. Lisa
Macaron : (French)
A macaron or French macaroon is a sweet meringue-based confection made with egg white, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond meal, and food colouring. There is some variation in whether the term macaron or macaroon is used, and the related coconut macaroon is often confused with the macaron
Recipe for Macaroon:
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ¼ cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and coconut extract. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites and salt until medium-stiff peaks form. Add the egg whites to the coconut mixture and fold in until no white streaks remain.Cover the mixture and chill for 45 minutes in the refrigerator.Scoop onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake, roasting pans halfway through baking, about 20-25 minutes or until they are golden. Then let Cool. Enjoy Lisa
- if you like you can dip in melted chocolate.