Today at the Library the Book Club is meeting : I have mulled cider in the crockpot and a fun holiday book up for discussion.
This weeks Book Club Read:
As December turns Lake Eden into the North Pole, the heat is on in Hannah Swensen’s kitchen to honor two Christmas promises: baking irresistible holiday cupcakes and preventing murder!
While Hannah speeds through a lengthy holiday checklist, drama in town grows like Santa’s waistline on Christmas Eve. Her sister Andrea wants to stave off the blues by helping out at The Cookie Jar, Michelle’s love life is becoming complicated, Lisa needs Hannah’s advice, and Delores has a Christmas secret she’s not willing to share. But nothing dampens the holiday mood more than the chilling mystery surrounding the man found near death in an abandoned storefront two doors down from Hannah’s bakery . . .
The befuddled John Doe can’t recall a thing about himself—except for his unusual knowledge of restoring antique furniture. With a smattering of clues and barely enough time to frost Christmas cookies, Hannah must solve a deadly puzzle that could leave her dashing through the snow for her life!
What’s in your Cookie Jar? Mine chocolate chip. I actually have a collection of Cookie Jars -Do you collect anything ?
Book Club Recipe : Mulled Cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 orange, sliced
- Place cinnamon, cloves and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with a string to form a bag.
- Place cider and brown sugar in a 3-qt. slow cooker; stir until sugar dissolves. Add spice bag. Place orange slices on top. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through. Discard spice bag.
- Check out next Tuesday drink recipe …