Happy Thursday ! And one of our families favorite place to shop is the Asian market. This one in Lafayette, La. is a great place to shop for all of your Chinese New Year needs…. Lisa
Shopping at the Asian market:
Some of my favorite things to buy at the market:
- Spices. The Asian market is a great place to purchase spices! …
- Sauces & Condiments. …
- Tea. …
- Seafood. …
- Noodles & Rice. …
- Chopsticks & Utensils. …
- Fresh Produce.
On today’s shopping list:
- A HUGE bag of rice (I prefer jasmine)
- Fish Sauce.
- Soy Sauce.
- Furikake (pick your flavor, mine is ‘shrimp’ or ‘toasty’)
- Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce.
- Frozen Seafood (shrimp and seatrash are DIRT cheap)
Shopping for a new Wok or steamer:
Look for carbon steel woks that are at least 14-gauge—about two millimeters thick—which won’t bend when you press on the sides. Avoid nonstick woks at all costs. Most nonstick coatings cannot handle the high heat necessary for a proper stir-fry.
Shopping from the freezer section :
My in laws makes these from scratch – but I purchased these from the freezer section at the market. And then used the steamer to cook them.
Tips for Using a Bamboo Steamer
- Choose a steamer 2 inches smaller than the pan you’re using.
- Use wax paper or parchment paper as a liner so food won’t stick to the bottom.
- If cooking multiple types of food (such as meats and veggies), place the foods that have the longest cooking time on the bottom tier.