Happy First day of February ! And my countdown to Chinese New Year continues : Today we are celebrating by making Almond Cookies and Fortune Cookies ! I must confess I usually just buy them at the Asian market but since it’s an hour away – Let’s make our own. Lisa
- 2 3/4 C Flour (shifted)
- 1 C Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 C lard (fat)
- 1 egg / beaten
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together into a bowl. Cut in the lard until mixture resembles cornmeal. Add egg and almond extract. Mix well.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Set them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Place an almond on top of each cookie and press down to flatten slightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges of the cookies are golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 3 egg whites beaten
- 3/4 C Sugar
- 1/2 C Butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 C flour
- 2 T water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets, or line with parchment paper. Have fortunes ready to go on small strips of paper.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites and sugar on high speed of an electric mixer until frothy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and stir in melted butter, vanilla, almond extract, water and flour one at a time, mixing well after each. Consistency should resemble pancake batter. Spoon the batter into 3 inch circles on the prepared baking sheets. Leave room between for spreading.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges begin to brown slightly. Quickly remove one at a time, place a message in the center, and fold in half. Fold the ends of the half together into a horse shoe shape. If they spring open, place them in a muffin tin to cool until set.
Fortune Cookie Crafts :
Red Craft foam / or red Paper : Cut out a Circle . Fold and pinch. Add glue dots to hold – Slide in fortune.
Cookie : Pin Cushion : Cut a circle recd fabric. Stitch around and leave room to stuff. Fill and stitch close. Fold into shape and fasten.