This Saturday I am at the Farmers Market picking up some Mustard Greens for lunch tomorrow. Today is National mustard Day which is made from the seeds of the plant……Lisa
Mustard Greens :
Basic Recipe :
- 4 bunches of clean mustard greens ( the ones from the market are pre cleaned but if yours are not clean thoroughly before using )
- 1/3 C bacon grease ( I fry up some bacon or tasso and use the grease from that and add it to the greens after cooking)
- 1/2 C chicken stock
- 2 pinches of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tear greens into pieces, throwing away thick veins and stems.
- In a large pot, heat the bacon grease over med-high.
- Add the greens and toss well with bacon grease for a couple of minutes.
- Add stock, salt and pepper and sugar and stir.
- Cover and simmer gently until very tender (DO NOT BOIL).
- As the greens cook, they will produce a lot of liquid that will cook down. Add water as needed to prevent burning, but only use what is necessary so your pot liquor won’t be watered down.
- Cook time will vary but usually about 3 hours