What will be in your picnic basket this 4th of July? We always pack food to eat while waiting for the fireworks!
Bite Size Muffulettas:
- 6 French rolls split or you can use a round Italian bread cut in pieces
- 1/2 lb of sliced hard salami
- 1/4 lb sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 lb of sliced Cotto salami
- 1/4 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
- Good Italian olive mix in a jar or use the one below
- Spread olive mixture over tops and bottoms of rolls. On roll bottoms, layer with hard salami, provolone cheese, cotto salami and mozzarella cheese. Replace tops.
- Wrap tightly. Refrigerate overnight. Cut each into 6 wedges; secure with toothpicks.
Olive Salad :
- 1 ½ cups Green Olives with Pimento Drained
- 1 ½ cups Pitted black olives drained
- ¾ Cup Giardiniera drained
- 5-10 Pepperoncini Drained
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Italian Parsley Finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Finely Minced Garlic
- Ground Pepper
- ¾ Cups Olive Oil
- Chop olives and giardiniera, place in a large bowl.
- Trim the stem ends off the pepperoncini, allow any trapped brine to drain. Chop, add to the large bowl.
- Measure parsley, oregano, and garlic into the bowl, stir well to combine.
- Season with ground pepper, to taste, before stirring in the olive oil.
- Pack mixture into clean glass jars, making sure to top each jar with olive oil from the bowl.
- Transfer to fridge. Ideally, allow it to chill for at least 24 hours before using.