This Thursday on my craft table I am exploring all the ways to use honey and bees in crafts. September is national honey month. So here some suggestions to make this month sweet like honey :
Candles ( Honey / Beeswax)
Beeswax Candles Ingredients
- 1 lb pure beeswax. (or you can buy pellets)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil.
- 3 half-pint canning jars.(or any small containers)
- 60 ply cotton braided wick #4 cut into 6 inch pieces.
- A metal pitcher (or an empty coffee can)
- pot large enough to fit your pitcher to use as a double boiler.
- bamboo skewers.
Roughly chop the beeswax into large piece and add cocnut oil place in a container placed in water bath (double bioler) on the stove. Melt wax on med . heat. While the wax and oil are melting, center your wicks in the 4 oz mason jars by wrapping it around a bamboo skewer.
If you are making scented candles, pull the wax from the pot and mix in your oils of choice once it is completely melted (about 30-45 minutes). Approximately 25-100 drops/oz depending on how potent your oil is.
Carefully pour the wax mixture into the candles and set aside to cool 45-60 minutes before lighting.
Bath and Beauty products:
Soap : made with melt and pour base.
Honey melt and pour base soap. ( I bought mine from Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Pound-Melt-Earths-Secrets/dp/B014Z1WWGO/ref=asc_df_B014Z1WWGO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194013412954&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvra
Large pyrex mixing cup
91% Isopropyl Alcohol, in a spray bottle
- Slice the Honey soap base into small cubes and place into a microwave-safe measuring cup. Melt in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring well after each session, to ensure that the soap is completely melted.
- Pour the melted soap into the mold and spritz with isopropyl alcohol to remove any air bubbles.
- Allow the soaps to sit undisturbed until completely firm (approximately 60-90 minutes depending on temperature and humidity) before unmolding.
Honey Dust ( NCIS fame) recipe :
Silky Edible Double Honey Dust
1 Cup corn starch
1 Tablespoon vanilla Powder or a few drops real vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon honey
Here’s how to prepare the above recipes. Simply put all ingredients in a food processor and mix together until well blended and there are no clumps, about 30 seconds.
Paper crafts : Bee’s