Welcome to Wed Food Blog : My family has a history with Cabbage rolls. My Grandma made great ones , My Mom were terrible mine is a work in process. Everyone still makes jokes about Mom’s and she was an awesome cook. So enjoy the recipe.. Lisa
Easy Cabbage Rolls
- 1 head green cabbage
- ▢1 lb ground pork (or ground turkey)
- ▢1/2 lb ground beef
- ▢2 small onions diced
- ▢3 cloves garlic minced
- ▢1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- ▢3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- ▢1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz) undrained
- ▢salt & pepper to taste
- ▢1 cup uncooked rice
- ▢1 egg
- ▢1 1/2 cups + ⅓ cup tomato sauce or pasta sauce divided
- ▢1 can tomato soup 10.5 oz
- Boil cabbage leaves about 2 minutes or until soft. (See note below for removing leaves). Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions but reduce cooking time by 5 minutes so the rice is slightly underdone. Set aside.
- Cook beef, pork (or turkey), onions, garlic & seasonings until no pink remains. Drain any fat. Add in rice, diced tomatoes, 1/3 cup of tomato/pasta sauce, salt & pepper. Stir in egg.
- Mix tomato sauce and tomato soup in a bowl. Spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in a 9×13 pan.
- Remove or thin any thick stem on cabbage leaves. Lay the cabbage leaf flat and add 1/3 cup filling to the center of the leaf. Fold in the sides and roll the cabbage up. Place seam side down in the pan. (See note for small leaves). Repeat with remaining cabbage.
- Pour sauce over the cabbage and cover tightly with foil. Bake 75-90 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
What is the best type of cabbage for cabbage rolls?
Savoy Cabbage : and that texture gives a slight elasticity, which makes the leaves ideal for dishes like stuffed cabbage or cabbage rolls.
How do you get cabbage leaves off without breaking them?
First, boil some water. Let a head of cabbage rest in it for about 10 minutes, so that the leaves become limp and thus easy to remove without tearing. They also become pliable enough to be rolled around meat without breaking or cracking
What is the best way to soften cabbage for cabbage rolls?
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove core from the cabbage. Place cabbage in water, core side down. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 8 to 10 minutes