Today I am celebrating the middle if August with Pie made with Citrus. Enjoy these Pies as we celebrate all thing Summer!
Happy Creamscile Day :
1 shortbread pie crust ( from store or homemade)
- 2 packages (16 ounces) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 (about 1/4 cup) orange, zested (optional) and juiced
- 1 tablespoon orange extract (start with 2 teaspoons and taste test)
- pinch kosher salt
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1-2 cups whipped topping, for over the creamsicle pie filling
- 4 wedges orange, for garnish
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, orange juice, orange extract, and salt and beat until everything is combined. (If you are adding the zest, add it here.)
- Gently fold in the whipped topping.
- Pour creamsicle filling into prepared pie crust. Smooth out with a small offset spatula.
- Smooth out a layer of whipped topping (about 2 cups, can use more or less depending on preference) over the creamsicle filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 3 days if covered. Top with an orange wedge.
Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.