On today’s Menu is a classic Louisiana dish to enjoy and a lively discussion about Back to School or College in our case. So after Church grab these ingredients and start cooking:
Mom’s Shrimp Creole :
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
- salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- r rice for serving
- Season shrimp with the lemon zest, paprika, parsley flakes, hot sauce and onion powder. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Brown the Cajun trinity of onion, bell pepper and celery in the oil or butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Stir the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, bay leaf, parsley flakes, paprika, hot sauce and SP&C to taste into the skillet.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 40 minutes, or until the sauce turns dark crimson.
- Add the seasoned shrimp to the skillet. Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until shrimp turn opaque and are well-incorporated into the Creole sauce.
- Rest for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp Creole gravy thickens. Serve with Rice.
Serve with it : Salad, and Fresh French bread . Make sure you check out Friday Lemon Pie recipe.
South Louisiana Cooking Tips:
- Shrimp Creole is a Tomato Sauce
- Shrimp Etuffee : is Pink. Peanut colored roux with Ketchup add .
- Shrimp Stew : Basic Brown roux with Shrimp
Family Table Discussion. :
Grab a seat at my table and join our family discussion. We are talking about school that start Wed here in Louisiana. With kids wearing mask and trying to follow godliness-since our state is in trouble. My son is going back to college but is required to test before entering the dorms and mandated mask wearing on campus. Class at this time will be hybrid- part on line and in person to keep students safe. The campus will require vaccination once FDA approved to keep everyone safe. I am looking forward to see what football season will look like as well as campus activates. Lisa