This January – we are going Meatless at least one day of the week This week I am making Vegan Burger’s with Black Beans I had in the cabinet.
- 1 can pinto or black beans (other varieties also work)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, optional
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp flour of choice or oat bran
- 1/2 cup cooked diced vegetables of choice
To make the veggie burgers, first drain, rinse, and mash the beans either by hand or in a food processor, depending on desired burger texture. Stir in all other ingredients, and form patties. (Add more flour if too soft to form patties.) Either pan fry–flipping halfway through cooking–or place on a parchment-lined pan and bake at 350 F for 10 minutes. Flip, then bake an additional 10 minutes or until desired texture is reached
On the Grill : For grillable veggie burgers that won’t fall apart, start by preheating your grill on high. Cook the patties on a greased sheet of foil for 7-8 minutes per side.
Veggie Burger Toppings you Need to try!!
- Hummus, Feta style cheese and fresh dill.
- Pickled red onions, fresh baby spinach, basted with tomato sauce.
- Fresh guacamole, salsa and diced mangos.
- Melted brie cheese style cheese with sliced apple, fig jam and veganaise.
How Do You Keep Veggie Burgers From Falling Apart?
- Use an egg substitute. Flax eggs are a popular choice.
- Add a starchy ingredient. Adding flour or oats can help the burgers stick together, without using eggs.
- Mash everything together well. …
- Keep the patty size reasonable.