Happy Sunday ! Granny made biscuits all the time and one our favorites way to eat them with Fresh Louisiana Strawberries.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup whole milk or 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons sprinkling sugar
- 1-2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced, and sweetened to your liking
- 2-4 cups freshly whipped cream
Using a large spoon, place a mound of dough on the baking sheet. You should use about ½ cup of dough for each biscuit. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle dough with sparkling sugar.
Bake at 423 degrees on parchment lined baking sheets until the shortcakes are golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving
- To serve, split the shortcake in half, add strawberries and whipped cream, and then top with the second half of the biscuit. Enjoy right away. Store leftover shortcakes at room temperature, separate from the berries and whipped cream.