Today on my Food Blog I am sharing some Heart Healthy Recipes. This one is for Salmon.
Heart healthy fish to eat
Best choices include anchovy, Atlantic mackerel, trout, catfish, clam, crab, crawfish, lobster, oyster, pollock, salmon, sardines, scallop, shrimp, canned light tuna and tilapia. AHA recommends eating 2 servings of fish (particularly fatty fish such as salmon) per week
Salmon is a commonly consumed fish praised for its high protein content and omega-3 fatty acids. There are several types of salmon found in the northern Atlantic and Pacific oceans and eaten in many cultures around the world.
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix the first 10 ingredients. Rub fillets with seasoning mixture; drizzle with oil.
- Place salmon on a lightly oiled rack, skin side up. Grill, covered, over high heat or broil 3-4 in. from heat 5 minutes. Turn; grill 4-6 minutes longer or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.
1 fillet: 295 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 385mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 fat.