I am celebrating two fun holidays today ! National Bartender Day and Tortilla chip day – so let’s get cooking…..
Baked Tortilla Chips :
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cut each tortilla into 8 chip sized wedges and arrange the wedges in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- in a mister, combine the oil and lime juice. Mix well and spray each tortilla wedge until slightly moist.
- Combine the cumin, chili powder and salt in a small bowl and sprinkle on the chips .Bake for about 7 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 8 minutes or until the chips are crisp, but not too brown. Serve with salsas, garnishes or guacamole.
- 1 lb white American cheese , cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water , optional for a thinner dip
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 pickled jalapenos (from a can or jar) , chopped
- 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice (from the can or jar)
- pinch of cumin (optional)
- Combine the cheese cubes and milk (and optional water) into a large glass microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring every minute. The mixture might seem watery during the first few stirs, but will come together as a nice runny dip after all the cheese is melted. Remove from the microwave and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve immediately as a dip with tortilla chips or as a sauce over your favorite Mexican dish. If using for a party dip, keep warm in a small Crock Pot.