Welcome to my Thursday Food Blog.
Today’s recipe is in honor to Breast Cancer Awareness month and all the family s affected by cancer. That want to eat healthy……Lisa
Apple and Carrot Soup :
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, white part only, rinsed well and chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2- inch slides
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pan, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion and leek and sauté for about 4 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Mix in the carrots and apple. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the broth, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the carrots are very soft. Remove the pot from the heat and set the soup aside to cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to pan and heat to very hot before serving. If soup is too thick, add more broth, as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve, garnishing each serving with mint.
Walnut Crusted Tilapia :
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 lb tilapia
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and coat baking dish with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Beat egg in mixing bowl and add lemon zest, remaining olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix walnuts and bread crumbs in a large bowl.
- Dip fish into egg mixture. Then dredge in crumb-nut mixture, coating both sides well. Place breaded fillets on prepared cooking dish.
- Bake for 17 minutes (or until inside of filet appears opaque) and serve.