Today is book Tuesday here . And I am posting about Banded Books , Is your favorite on the list ? What can you do ?
Why is To Kill a Mockingbird often considered controversial? And should be banned . But most 6-7 th grade curriculum includes this book. My Son read it in the 7 th grade as part of his English course and enjoyed the novel and the class room discussion about the book. Lisa
Why ban the book ?
- Racial injustice
- Sexual / Physical Violence
But why we still read it it schools ?
1 Coming of age in the South during the Deep Depredation
2 The plot of the African Americans in the deep south at that time period, .
3 Moral Comp
The newest Books being challenged or Banned for 2018 ?
1. Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling
2. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
3. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
4. And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
5. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
7. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (series) by Alvin Schwartz
8. His Dark Materials (series) by Philip Pullman
9. ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r (series) by Lauren Myracle
10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
What can you do to help ?
- Stay involved ( attend school board meeting )
- Support your local library choices ( discuss the freedom to Read )
- Speak Out and Exercises your Rights