In my Kitchen this Thursday it’s all about St Patrick Day so enjoy :
What is Shepard Pie?
Shepherd’s pie or cottage pie is a meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato. The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat, cooked in a gravy or sauce with vegetables and topped with mashed potatoes. Usually made with ground lamb in Ireland this version is made with ground beef- Enjoy…..
- 1 c Flour
- 1/8 tsp oil
- 1/3 C cold butter
- 2/3 T cold water
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1 small onion /chopped fine
- 2 C frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can condensed celery soup
- chopped thyme
- 3 C mashed potatoes ( homemade the best but you can use other types)
Preheat oven to 375 :
- Make Dough:
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened.
- STEP 3Roll out dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into ungreased 9-inch pie pan; unfold dough, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan. Crimp or flute edge. Set aside.
- Cook ground beef and onion into 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 9-11 minutes or until beef is browned. Drain off fat. Stir in vegetables, soup and thyme leaves; continue cooking 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
- STEP 5Spoon meat mixture into pie crust. Spoon mashed potatoes over meat mixture. Bake 35-45 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned and pie is heated through.
Kitchen Tips :
Ground turkey or chicken, or a mixtures of ground pork or sausage (a bulk mild or spicy Italian sausage would be great here) all cook up beautifully in a meat pie. Also instead of frozen vegetables use any leftover vegetables you have out of the fridge.
Don’t want to make your own mashed potatoes ? Refrigerated mashed potatoes are terrifically easy, but so are mashed potato flakes. Use a roasted garlic flavored or stir some sharp cheddar cheese into the potatoes before spreading them over the casserole.